Dental implants are small pieces of titanium, biocompatible with human tissue, which replace the roll of a real root. Crowns and bridges can be adjusted to replace the missing tooth or teeth, bringing back normal mouth functions. The process can take around 24 hours after the surgery.
- Comfort: These kinds of implants are fixed permanently into the bone, avoiding gum pain or discomfort caused by a removable partial denture.
- Facial rejuvenation: Implants stop the effects of tooth loss and bone retraction, giving you a beautiful and natural appearance.
- Vocalization improvement and smile restoration: Implants restore the oral muscle function, allowing you to regain your ability to speak and smile normally without any sound and movements that can affect your social relationships.
- Improved chewing: Dental implants are the closest thing to natural teeth allowing you to eat comfortably, even foods that were previously not easily consumed.
You are a suitable patient for dental implants when:
- Your dentures do not fit as they used to.
- You do not want removable appliances.
- You need security and stability to eat and smile properly.
- You want to replace a tooth without damaging the surrounding teeth.
- There is a high need of comfort and aesthetics.
What is osseointegration?
Osseointegration is a phenomenon in which the implanted material integrates with living bone, firmly anchoring the implant in place.
All patients are suitable for implants?
Most patients are good candidates for this procedure because titanium is a biocompatible material. There are, however, some limits with patients who are currently undergoing other medical treatments at the moment of the surgery. In this case, they would need the doctor’s approval.
What is an immediate load implant?
An immediately loaded implant is one that is placed in mouth and its osseointegration occurs within the next 24 hours, so the crown can be worn in a few days to finish the treatment in a short time.
Can I get a complete implant treatment within 12 days?
An immediate load implant allows the crown(s) to be placed in a few days. Because Osseointegration occurs within the next 24 hours the patient can spend 12 days to finish the treatment. You may to wait 4 to 6 months for complete oral rehabilitation depending on your bones’ ability to heal.
What is a maxillary sinus floor elevation procedure?
Maxillary sinuses are cavities located beside the nose. This procedure involves adding bone in the molar or premolar tooth area of the upper jaw to lift these cavities.
What is a bone graft procedure?
Bone grafting is the augmentation of the bone to recover and reverse its loss caused by missing teeth or periodontal disease, permitting implant placement.
How long can implants last?
When the dental implant has been properly performed, it can last a lifetime if good oral hygiene is practiced.
Does the quality of an implant affect the treatment outcome?
Yes. It first depends on the type of implant that is used. There are many types, according to prices and quality. We use Biomet 3I implants and Zimmer Dental (both made in the United States) with a 90% of success rate.
Do all implants work properly?
No, not all of them. Sometimes the bone is very porous and it does not provide enough grip to, which removes the implant. If this happens, grafting a bone is necessary to perform an alternative treatment.
Is getting a dental implant surgery painful? What will recovery be like?
No, it is not painful because the surgery is performed under local anesthesia. Each patient also responds differently. You should be careful with the postoperative period, following doctor recommendations as to taking specific drugs, diet, avoiding direct sun contact or exercise. Watching TV, using the computer, and eating soft foods are all acceptable activities.